One fun thing I've seen/heard a lot about are all the wives' tales for "guessing" the baby's gender. I thought, for anyone who may be waiting to learn their baby's gender OR who may be planning a fun gender reveal party, it might be fun to share all the ones I've learned. Just for fun!
Since we're expecting our second child in November, I've noticed one huge similarity between our first and second pregnancies: People all have an opinion as to the fact that we're not learning our child's gender. BIG opinions. And I get it, I do. The first question we generally hear after people find out that we're expecting is, "Oh! What're you having?" Is it really a given these days that parents find out what they're having? According to our local hospital, pretty much. My sister and I are the rare difference; many months can go by without that "It's a...!!!" surprise moment in the delivery room. I have heard that it's becoming the "in" thing not to find out. If you know me in "real life," you know that my husband and I are (proudly) as dorky as they come, so it's clearly not why we're making this choice. We just know that there are very few really incredible surprises left in store for we "gotta have it now" humans these days. We also love keeping things simple and down to basic gender neutral decor and clothing (we have loved ones who will overbuy! Can't wait to use our own hand-me-downs instead), so planning ahead isn't really necessary.
1. No morning sickness, it's a boy. It's a girl if you're having any nausea. If this is the case, I'm on my second boy; I had less nausea this time and wasn't very nauseous at all the first time, with zero actual sickness. However, my poor sister was horribly ill all 18 months of her two pregnancies and has a girl...and a boy. ;-) 2. A higher heart rate (140+ BPM) means it's a girl; lower for a boy. To say nothing of the fact that they all have fast heart rates earlier in the pregnancy. 3. If you crave salty foods, it's a boy; sweet, it's a girl. We'll see if this is true; I've craved salty stuff both times. 4. If dad gains weight, it’s a girl. If his weight stays the same, it’s a boy. Not touching this one.
5. It’s a girl if you get acne due to the increased levels of the female charged hormones. A girl "steals" her mother’s beauty. Anybody else LOL'ing yet?
6. If the linea nigra stops at the belly button, it’s a girl. If the linea nigra goes all the way to the bottom of the rib cage, it’s a boy. Got nothin'.
7. You've got dry hands - it’s a boy. Or a super dry Upstate New York winter. Whatevs.
8. More hair on your legs than normal, count on a boy. Can't say that I remember my experience the first time, but it is a lot less noticeable this summer...huh.9. If your face swells and gets rounder, it’s a girl. Long and narrow face, a boy. Mine looks normal, I think...but my brother would crack an immature joke. ;-) 10. Cold feet, a boy. Um, so I've been expecting a boy my whole life? #alwayscold11. If you find yourself clumsier with pregnancy, it’s a boy. If you remain grounded and still in control of your body, it’s a girl.
11. If you're clumsier with pregnancy, it's a boy. If you're physically grounded and stable, it's a girl. Again, every day of my life...clumsy.12. If you’re carrying low, it’s a boy. If you’re carrying high, it’s a girl. Is there such thing as a middle carry? There I am. 13. Speaking of carrying, if you’re carrying in front, it’s a boy. All around your middle, it’s a girl. I think front, mostly. 14. Loop your wedding ring in a piece of thread and let it dangle over your belly. If the rings swings in a back and forth motion, it’s a girl. If the ring moves in a circular motion, boy. I haven't done this yet, but it's one of my favorites - just for the fun of it, really. There's also a string-and-needle variation. 15. Or, just skip all of the above and go for the gold: a Chinese Gender Predictor. Clearly, it's a girl. That, and my 3-year-old son insists it's a girl. Insists, I tell you. Let me know if you've had any of these wives' tales tell you your child's gender accurately! And, of course, please feel free to add any that I've missed in the comments! (I know there are dozens upon dozens more.)