Staining and cloth diapers unfortunately go hand in hand. We here at Thirsties always try to stay up to date on laundering issues, and suggest the most eco-friendly and safe methods for cleaning diapers and covers. Here are a few natural solutions for lifting stains...
- Prewash on cold. With every load of laundry, we suggest a prewash with cold water. DO NOT dry in the dryer as heat will set staining.
- Although soaking can aid in stain removal, we do not recommend soaking anything on a regular basis for longer than 10 minutes. This is due to the fact that it can eat away at lamination, and lock in odor.
- Use a cloth safe detergent to help clean your diapers. You can see a complete list here: Care and Use
- Dry in the sun. This works 99% of the time. The UV rays of the sun fade the stains away. We recommend drying in the sun as a normal routine as it helps to deodorize, lift stains, and disinfect naturally!
- 50/50 solution of lemon juice/water: This is great for the fold-over elastic on Thirsties products. Spritz on the stain and put in the sun for a few hours. Add the item to a normal wash with your other covers and/or diapers. Do not dry in the dryer if the stain is still visible. Repeat if necessary.
- Oxygen bleach: Use the recommended amount in the wash load. This will brighten and help to lift stains.